25 Oct -
Streetsoccer in the News
Exciting times! Essen game convention has just started and Streetsoccer is in the news on a couple of sites:
- AppStore: It’s featured in the “New” and “All iPad Apps” sections of the board games category.
- PocketTactics: Owen was kind enough to do a short announcement before heading of to his well deserved vacation and apparently David Neumann of BGG fame is going to review it soon
- Speaking of David, he was kind enough to mention Streetsoccer in his Boardgamegeek iOS News
- Guillaume of jeuxadeux is also going to write a review I’m very excited to read.
While there are no official reviews yet, the general reception by users has been great! Unfortunately, they have already found a couple of bugs, the most problematic one causing problems in turn-based Game Center sessions. Other bugs include the AI doing illegal moves, to being able to rename player pieces and more… it once again proves that you can test as much as you want, there will always be bugs! I hope to push out an update later this week to solve those issues.
In other news, if all goes well, our friends from DICE+ will use Streetsoccer as one of the games to demo DICE+ at Essen game fair. I quickly visited their booth today which cannot be missed because there is a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5m version of a DICE+ hanging right over it!
Well, if hell didn’t just freeze over: After almost three years of work, I’ve submitted Streetsoccer to the app store! Actually, today was the third time in three days : )
I took a small brake from working on Streetsoccer and did the necessary adjustments to make Recipes work with iOS 7. The update went into review yesterday and will hopefully be public in a week or so.
As for Streetsoccer, beta users had found a bug in the Game Center integration which I already fixed but otherwise feedback is excellent. I only need to paint the four AI character images and it should finally be good to go…
I’ve just uploaded a video showing of the various menus and a full match against the AI. As you can see, some art assets like the AI characters are still missing but coding wise the game is pretty much done. Have fun…
After 2 1/2 years, coding on Streetsoccer is finally complete. Well, truth be told, I still have to add something to handle potential support cases tomorrow but basically the game itself is done! I’ve just re-checked the repository: The very first commit for Streetsoccer was done on Dec 25, 2010. Before then I had worked on Monkey Dash and used a lot of that code as a basis for Streetsoccer. So all in all let’s call it three years of spare time coding, testing, trying to find artists to help … all interrupted by a few things like day jobs, relationships and other things that were simply more important… : )
This is the continuation of the previous post about custom jerseys inside Streetsoccer. The in-game rendering code for custom jerseys is now complete and I also baked the player numbers into the individual shirts. The scoreboard now reflects the team colors which was possible by a similar compositing operation as I use for generating the jerseys. Luckily Core Graphics already has blending modes such as “Overlay” implemented, so it amounted to writing out individual layers instead of one baked PNG.
I’ve just completed a first version of the new jersey generator. The user can pick his own base color, a color for the shorts, one of the pre-defined patterns and a color for the pattern. The app internally does some on the fly compositing to generate the baked texture which is then used in the game. The 3D model is still the ugly player piece from all the prototypes, still no time yet to improve it.